Random Calligraphy

Personal Reflections from an Imperfect Pen

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Mexico

Publications: Japji Sahib: The Song of the Soul by Guru Nanak translated by Ek Ong Kaar Kaur Khalsa. Anand Sahib: The Song of Bliss by Guru Amar Das translated by Ek Ong Kaar Kaur Khalsa. Available through www.sikhdharma.org.

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Random Considerations

Lately, I have been experiencing a bout of Blogger’s guilt.

Years ago, if you wrote an article for a magazine, you had months of lead time to do something thorough, to do something well - time to think, time to be creative, time to revise. Over the years, though God knows I have been blessed with a lovely talent for writing (Thank you, Creator of mine), I also have a bit of a laissez-faire attitude. One can maybe call it – being talented without being terribly ambitious. I write when the Spirit moves me, whenever that is, whatever topic comes up, and it’s enough.

A couple weeks ago, though, while cruising through my blog, I was shocked to see that I hadn’t written an interesting or proper essay since September of 2008. Five months ago. And I thought to myself– oh my goodness – do they kick you off the blog-o-sphere if you go that long without posting something? So here I am tonight, sitting on my couch with a mild relapse of the flu (this is the second time in a month that I’ve gotten it), awake because I took a four hour nap this afternoon, wondering, “What topic can I write about?”

There are a couple of essays in my mind – one about the linguistic map of Gurbani and one about the journey from Om to Ek Ong Kaar. But I’m a little too feverish to focus that much right now.

Instead, I’d rather to connect with all of you who like to read what I write. And share a few random thoughts with you.

Be good to yourself. Who you are is all you have in the end – your sense of your own identity, your sense of your own journey through life. There are a lot of pressures and Sirens (in the Greek mythological sense) that pull us one way or the other. Don’t let those pressures take you away from YOU. Keep your power. Know who you are and why you are. Whenever you make a decision, make it based on the values that you have, the character that you choose to cultivate. Never make a decision based on what someone promises will happen in the end. Promises never work out the way you imagine them, and regrets are all you will find if you walk down that road. In this moment, have the confidence of knowing that your soul is on its own unique journey through time and space – a journey that no else can take for you. Listen to your soul. Trust it. Respect it. Love it. Let It guide you wherever It will. And don’t expect to be compensated for doing it. The compensation is the joy you feel in this moment that you are free and you have the strength to act in alignment with your Spirit. The future is unknown and will present its own challenges. So let every moment fulfill itself. Being who you are with every breath is its own best reward.

Love each other. There’s so much craziness right now with money and the economy. We’ve forgotten that we don’t survive because of money. We survive because we love each other and take care of each other. If all of the banks were to fail, if all of the businesses were to collapse, if everything we knew were to end, as long as we had each other and we could face the challenge together, we would be fine. Living or dying doesn’t matter. Enjoying and loving and laughing and embracing each other, we can go through anything. It’s the way we love that counts in the end.

Remember it’s all a game. The Guru says it all the time – there is One Divine Light playing all of the parts in the play. Try not to take it too seriously. It’s not that serious. We’re in God’s movie. Play your part, enjoy the theater, and remember this is not your true home. This is not your final destination. This is just a temporary station along the way. Be God’s guest on the earth for a while. Be a good, kind, gracious and considerate guest. And when it’s time to go, go with a smile, go with a song, and go with the victory that no one could ever defeat you because you made a choice to take this precious gift of the human life and live it from the inside out.

So those are my random, whimsical, slightly fever-ridden thoughts for today. Be good to yourself. Love each other. Remember it’s all a game. You are the bright, blissful, beautiful manifestation of Divine Energy on the earth. Live it. Be it. Enjoy it completely! And don’t let anyone or anything, any event or any tragedy, keep you from remembering it.

And for the record – this message is not channeled. It’s me within myself telling how it is. Because the Guru has blessed me to appreciate and enjoy my own Inner Light – and that Inner Light is really clear about where things “are at.” YOUR Inner Light is equally as clear. Look to yourself and be happy.

May the Light of God that lives in your own heart make Itself known to your own mind so that you may be strong in your values and virtues and stay committed to the best and highest most beautiful Self that you are.

With Divine Love, Divine Light and many blessings.

Yours humbly,

Ek Ong Kaar Kaur

5 Comments:

Blogger Harjot Atwal said...

Thank you so much for this Ek Ong Kaar Kaur ji.
I don't know how you knew to say this today, but I feel (when I read it) since I was going through a very emotional/internal crisis today that God fed this through you for me to read and understand. I cried with joy when I read it all. I cannot stop smiling in this moment.
It just proves to me how much He cares and how wonderful people like yourself can say such beautiful words through His divine grace that can touch the hearts of people and open their eyes.
Thank you so much. I'm going to save this and refer back to it for future times when I may lose faith with myself.
May God Bless you, like I am certain He always does, and may I come across many more people who share divine love for the world and God time and time again. I hope one day to meet such a wonderful soul as yourself. But I will wait for that occasion to be bestowed upon me. In time I am sure it will.

WaheGuru Je Ka Khalsa, WaheGuru Je Ke Fateh

12:27 AM  
Blogger Surinder Kaur said...

Dear Ek Ong Kaar Kaur,

thank you, thank you and thank you again for taking the trouble to write. Your writings are an inspiration to us all.
Your faith awakens our faith.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

11:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember the S.S.S. saying that the entire science of kundalini yoga is contained in the anand sahib. Since then I have been trying to "crack" the structure thinking it might be astrological. Do you have any hints?

8:21 AM  
Blogger Ek Ong Kaar Kaur said...

Dear Anonymous,

Blessings to you and thank you so much for your question.

What a great quote by the Siri Singh Sahib about the Anand Sahib. To comment on the entire science of Kundalini Yoga and how the Anand Sahib explains it in a blog response is probably going to be a bit difficult. :) But when I can offer is this - that the 38th Pauree of the Anand Sahib describes the experience of the 10th gate opening completely, and the entire Anand Sahib is a step by step description of how to train the mind through the different developmental stages of life in order for that 10th gate to open. The Paurees leading up to the 38th explain how the senses can mature to a very subtle experience. And the paurees before that speak to so many concerns we have in life - from understanding the purpose of the human body to how to handle wealth to not getting stuck in ritual.

The Kundalini is the aspect of our biophysical reality that relates to the maturing of our awareness and consciousness. When we are completely mature in our awareness, we do see God in everyone and as the cause of every action. The Anand Sahib asks us to use the Shaabd to train our mind in a way that achieves this maturity.

it is a very practical reality. Your senses within your body need to develop to the point of seeing, hearing, tasting and embodying the Divine Light. This is the effect of the Kundalini. This is the effect of the Shabad. And this, ultimately, the science and the effect of the Anand Sahib.

I hope this makes some sense. Beginning this year, it will be my blessing to teach on the Anand Sahib. There will be a weekend in Crestone, Colorado in the beginning of September on the Anand Sahib. And also Sikh Dharma International is hosting a Bliss Yatra to India where we will spend some time traveling, but also studying the Anand Sahib for 4 days in Anandpursahib. You can go to this web address for information on the Yatra:

http://www.sikhdharma.org/events/event-261

All prayers that this is helpful for you, and please know I am grateful to dialogue about this more if you would like.

With Divine Light and many many blessings.

Yours sincerely and humbly,

Ek Ong Kaar Kaur

4:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for answering me (about the science of yoga beeing contained in the anand sahib) and for inviting further dialogue. I'll be in touch to share my modest impressions

8:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home